This is a real-time service for anticipation of flash floods, based on :
- structural basin parameters derived from satellite observation
- real-time precipitation data retrieved from hydrological radars
It delivers risks maps containing two levels of information:
- Overflow risk
- Extreme runoff risk
The risk is classified in three levels, according to event return period (from 2 to 10 years / 10 to 50 years / over 50 year return period).
Based on the AIGA methodology, which is complementary to the one traditionally used in flood forecasting centres, this service allows provision of early awareness information with high resolution mapping of the risk, and can be deployed very efficiently on large portions of territory.
It is usefull for the anticipation phase of a crisis where it:
- provides an early warning information to assist the response to potential catastrophic situations by pre-positioning means, and taking protective actions or responding quickly to the emergency as appropriate,
- provides a better anticipation of flash flood events.
- gives a global coverage of all basins (eg: forecasting services do not exist today for many small basins).
Its main benefit is that it delivers anticipated information with 1 hour advance.
Main technical features of the products
||Accuracy / Localisation
Real time flash flood risk map FFEW 1
- Excessive runoff
- River overflow risk